Physics 2211 w. Dr. Larosa

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Physics 2211 w. Dr. Larosa

Hopefully this works as a place to talk about study groups and problems we're having in 2211

2 posters

Chapter 4, problem 51

Puja

Chapter 4, problem 51 Empty Chapter 4, problem 51

Post  Puja Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:57 pm

When baseball players throw the ball in from the outfield, they usually allow it to take one bounce before it reaches the infield, on the theory the ball arrives sooner that way. Suppose the angle at which a bounced ball leaves the ground is the same as the angle at which the outfielder threw it but that the ball's speed after the bounce is one half of what it was before the bounce.

(a) Assuming the ball is always thrown with the same initial speed, at what angle should the fielder throw the ball to make it go the same distance D with one bounce as a ball thrown upward at 45.0° with no bounce ?

(b) Determine the ratio of the time interval for the one-bounce throw to the flight time for the no-bounce throw.
    Ryan
    Ryan
    Admin

Chapter 4, problem 51 Empty Re: Chapter 4, problem 51

Post  Ryan Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:06 pm

This problem has really pissed me off. I was expecting something easy, and I can't get the damn answer for the life of me. .... which probably also means that I did #20 wrong (the one about the basketball player dunking)

I'll try it again from scratch, and post when I get it.
    Ryan
    Ryan
    Admin

Chapter 4, problem 51 Empty Muuhhhahahaha hahaha

Post  Ryan Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:12 pm

Totally got it (i think). Just had to redraw my pics.

Chapter 4, problem 51 Chapte10

Sponsored content

Chapter 4, problem 51 Empty Re: Chapter 4, problem 51

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:31 pm